Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Church

Church here is different.  It’s been a while since either Tim or I have attended chapel, but it is still different from when we did.  We have attended six weeks, I think, and a different chaplain has spoken every time.   

Normally, back in the states, you could have three or four chapels on one post with different services to choose from and a steady chaplain.  Plus, other services might be held by other Chaplains at other facilities, ie the movie theater.  Since there is only one chapel, but many Chaplains they share the duties of Sunday morning preaching. 

It’s not completely a bad thing, but it can make it hard to know who to direct your questions at.  It has taken some time adjusting to the constant switch.  It also means that some Sundays you are struggling to pay attention because that particular Chaplain has not moved out from behind the pulpit once, nor has he spoke in more than once decibel.  Doesn’t mean the message is bad…just makes it harder sometimes.  Some just have an annoying voice.  Other Sundays you may be deeply challenged and the preaching is motivating.  Some Chaplain’s pray very concisely, others pray more freely.  I prefer the ones that pray more freely.  Out of the six weeks we’ve attended, I’d say it’s been about half and half on the quality of preaching.  We’ve already pinned a few of the Chaplain’s as our favorites and we get excited if we see their names in the Bulletin when we come in.

Some parts of the service are still very liturgical, other parts are more contemporary.   Every week though seems to make some of the things that were at first different and strange…and the things that make you miss your old church… a little more normal.  

They have PWOC for the women, which I have been able to attend three times so far and I have really enjoyed.  They also have a lunch Bible Study for the men, but Tim’s work schedule hasn’t allowed him to go yet.  We were excited to here that they have AWANA for the kids.  While we are very interested in AWANA for the boys, I am always cautious not to jump into too many things too quickly.  We still have a lot going on just at home and the boys do better on a more relaxed schedule.  Just having to go take and go get Ryan from school adds a little extra stress (mainly to Colin).  Unless something changes I think we are going to start them in the fall after Colin turns 4, that way both Ryan and Colin can attend.  They currently don’t have a program for the 3 year olds.

We were also very excited to learn of a new Chaplain for Tim’s Company.  He and his family arrived a few weeks after we did and we were able to hear him preach the Sunday before Tim left for the field.  It’s been a while since Tim has had a good Chaplain and we are very excited with what we have seen/heard so far!

We know that the transition can take a while but I think we are starting to get more excited about the opportunities that are offered and we are starting to seek out ways in which we can serve as well.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura! Great update -- makes me proud of my chaplain man...and I will pray for you guys as you settle in and make connections with other believers! It's fun to hear about your family and new life overseas. God bless y'all! <3
    jordan

    ReplyDelete